Bourbon Honey Bacon Jam – Easy to make. Ultra addicting.
You’ve probably heard the expression, “Bacon makes everything better.” Well, if just plain old bacon makes things better, than my bourbon honey bacon jam will make everything great! This sweet and savory condiment can be added to food at every meal; breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and deserts!
Bacon jam is loosely connected to Verhackert; which is minced pork, garlic, and salt that is cold smoked and then served as a fine paste. While all these ingredients are in bacon jam, it requires a sugar to be considered a jam. My recipe calls for two different types of sugars along with onions and a little splash of bourbon to round out the flavor profile. The ending result is a delicate balance of tastes and textures that amplifies anything that it goes on.
The Keys to a great Bourbon Honey Bacon Jam
I’m not lying when I say this recipe is easy to make. Its just eight ingredients and a single pan. But like most “easy” recipes, your technique will make or break the final result. Below are some of the key steps to ensure your Bourbon Honey Bacon Jam is the best that it can be.
- Low and Slow
- The cooking is done over medium-low heat. The recipe should take between 60 and 90 minutes from start to finish. Your patience will be rewarded!
- Don’t overcook the bacon
- Cook the bacon just before it turns crispy. Remember, this is a jam and not a crunchy topping.
- Onions take time to caramelize
- See the first key, low and slow. Caramelized onions take time so don’t rush it. We really want to maximize their flavor!
Bacon Jam Uses
In all honesty, it might be easier to list out what it can’t be used on. I’m sure that you all can come up with some tasty ways, but here are some of my favorite uses.
- Burgers: Obvious, but I have to put it on here because it’s just so dang good.
- Jalapeño Poppers: Instead of wrapping in bacon, stuff the bacon jam in the middle!
- Salad Dressing: Doesn’t matter if its store bought or homemade. Whisk in a little bit to bring it up a notch.
- Smoked Mac and Cheese: Try one of my other recipes. Then add some bourbon honey bacon jam with it. You’re welcome!
- Eggs: Bacon and eggs are a classic combination. So replace the bacon with bacon jam. Or just add it on top!
- Ice Cream: Yes! Ice Cream! Don’t knock it till you try it!
Bourbon Honey Bacon Jam
- 6 ounces bacon about 5 strips. but into ½ strips
- ½ medium sized red onion 4 ounces if you want to be exact. julienned
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces water
- 2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces bourbon nothing fancy, in the 90-100 proof range
- Over medium low heat, cook the bacon until just before starting to turn crispy. this step should take around 15 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- With the pan still over medium low heat, add the red onion and cook until caramelized. Stir every 5 minutes or so as over stirring will cause the caramelization to take miuch longer. This step should take around 30 minutes
- Once the onion have finished caramelizing, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the pan along with the honey and brown sugar. Mix to incorporate all ingredients. Continue mixing and cook for another 2-3.
- Add the water to the pan. Mix to incorporate. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add the balsamic vinegar and bourbon to the pan. Mix to incorporate. Continue simmering until a majority of the liquid has evaporated and the consistency is very jam-like. This step should take about 10 – 20 minutes.
- The bacon jam can be used immediately or cooled and refrigerated. The jam will most likely harden in the refrigerator so you can microwave it for a few seconds to bring it back to its normal thickness.