Bourbon Peppercorn Cream Sauce
There’s a saying about a good steak only needs salt and pepper. Which is fine I guess. But in my view all steaks want more flavor. Which is definitely the case with this bourbon peppercorn cream sauce. This sauce is meant to highlight, but not overpower the steak.
The best part about this sauce is that it’s quick and easy and can be done while you are resting your steaks. And you are resting your steaks right?! That’s an essential part of a great steak. But going back to the sauce it only takes about 5 minutes as long as you have all the ingredients ready to go.
Ingredients for the Bourbon Peppercorn Cream Sauce
- Bourbon – Should be rather obvious from the name. Some of my favorite sub $30 bottle are Buffalo Trace, Blue Note, George Dickel and Wild Turkey 101
- Black Pepper – Whole black peppercorns to be exact. You can then grind them on the coarsest setting or break them up in a mortar and pestle. If those aren’t an option put them in a ziploc bag and crush them with a frying pan or pot!
- Beef Stock – This is the glue that hold everything together. Make sure to thoroughly reduce it to intensify that beefy flavor.
- Heavy Cream – I mean who doesn’t like a touch of cream to finish off a sauce. This does two things: Cools off the sauce so that it won’t burn your mouth. It also rounds out the sharp peppercorn notes and makes everything more palatable.
- Seasoning – You could use just salt and pepper but I really like my coffee dry rub in this application. There’s something about coffee, black pepper and heavy cream together that will make your taste buds happy.
- Watch your eyebrows! – The alcohol in bourbon is flammable. Please use caution when adding it to the pan. If you are indoors I recommend you do it off heat. If outside, keep your face away from the pan!
- Reduce that stock – Make sure you reduce cook that stock by half. Otherwise it will leave you with a more runny sauce.
- Add cream off heat – This is the last step and you want to do it off heat. Just stir it in, taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve the bourbon peppercorn cream sauce immediately!
Other Recipes You Make Like
- Steak Dry Rub – The best 7 ingredient steak seasoning
- Coffee Dry Rub
- Chimichurri Sauce – The Herbaceous Steak Sauce
Bourbon Peppercorn Cream Sauce
Super easy and quick pan sauce to up your steak night dinner
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tablespoons shallots diced
- 2 teaspoons crushed or coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- After cooking your steak, remove them from the pan and add your garlic, shallots and black pepper. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Cook for 20 – 30 seconds.
- *PLEASE USE CAUTION* Add the bourbon to the pan and deglaze. Bourbon is flammable. If doing this inside remove pan from heat. If doing outside, please watch your eyebrows!
- Cook the bourbon to 1-2 minutes or until the alcohol smell has disipated
- Return the pan to heat and add the beef stock. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove from heat and add the cream. Stir and taste. Adjust seasoning as needed. Pour over you steak and enjoy!.