Spicy Thai Basil Chicken on the Griddle
I knew I had a hit on my hands when my four year old asked for a second helping. Although, his wasn’t spicy but more on that later. But for everyone else, this spicy Thai basil chicken was also a winner. Not only does it win on taste but also time and ease. This is a perfect weeknight meal.
When I say perfect for a weeknight, I mean perfect for a quick meal. You can assemble all the ingredients while your griddle is preheating and then cooking only takes about 10 minutes. It really is that simple.
What does Spicy Thai Basil Chicken taste like?
- Thai Chilies – The most common type is the Bird’s Eye chili. They typically are much hotter than a jalapeno but not as spicy as a habanero. They also have a slightly fruity taste once you get past the heat.
- Thai Basil – This is not the same as the basil used in Italian cooking. It it much more complex with savory and peppery flavors. Thai basil is the star of the dish and can’t be replaced.
- Medium High Heat – Traditionally this meal is cooked in a wok so use medium high heat on your griddle. This will get your a good amount of caramelization without burning.
- Spice Level – As previously mentioned, Thai peppers can be very spicy so use some judgement!
- Don’t overcook the Thai basil – We just want the basil to wilt into the dish. Overcooking it will eliminate some of the flavor and texture that really makes this dish excellent.
- Fried Egg – Is not optional! I mean, it is, but it isn’t.
- Thai Chilies – Red Thai chilies aren’t readily available to me so I frequently use jalapenos, poblanos or even red bell peppers when I’m making it for my kids.
- Ground Chicken – any kind of ground meat or small cubes of meat will work. Adjust your cooking time appropriately.
Other recipes you may like
Spicy Thai Basil Chicken
Quick, easy, delicious and inexpensive. Weeknight meal with a kick!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 whole shallots sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 3-5 whole Thai chilies de-seeded and sliced thin (see notes)
- 2 – 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup loosely pack Thai Basil leaves
- neutral oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat your griddle over medium-high heat.
- Put down a thin layer of oil and add the shallots and Thai chilies plus a pinch of kosher salt. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another thirty seconds.
- Add the ground chicken along with another two pinches of salt. Break up into pieces and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Then add the soy sauce, fish sauce and honey and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Keep the food moving along the griddle to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Finally, add the Thai basil and cook for 30 – 60 seconds or until the Thai basil is wilted but still retains its color. Serve immediately over rice with a fried egg.
Please adjust peppers to your heat level tolerance. Thai chilies can be very spicy! When I make this for my little ones I use red bell peppers.